Wednesday 17 October 2012

Museum of South Australia


In the tutorial of this week, we visited the Museum of South Australia which is on the North Terrace. I think this tutorial is indeed quite interesting because I have a chance to see many different Aboriginal handicraft stuffs that I have not seen before. By looking at Aboriginal daily objects, I can somehow imagine their daily life -how they eat, what they wear. With the detail explanation next to objects, I understand more about the Aboriginal people as well as their culture.

These plans indeed look quite interesting. I wonder about the feature and the taste of them. 






These things can be called as jewelry. They are used by both man and woman in order to not only decorate for their appearance but also have their own meaning. For example, on one hand the headband can be used to tight up the hair and make the owner look more beautiful. On the other hand, it also can show the owner status(single, married or still looking for partner). 



This list show me the original names of different regions in Adelaide as well as their meaning. I think this one is really helpful.

The Yuendumu School doors:


These doors tell stories about the Warlpiri people.It show people the precious landscape of regions where Warlpiri people used to lives. In my opinion, the artists placed their paintings on the doors because not only for decorating purpose but also with the meaning that  is welcoming the viewers to open the doors (Warlpiri people hold the key) and enter the landscapes.





No comments:

Post a Comment